Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Wed.'s Devo - Dreams: Instruction and Prophecy

Read Gen 37
People ask me if all dreams come from God...everything comes from God. I have never had a satanic dream though I have dreamed of demons. Dreams can show you what is happening in the world so you can pray. I had a series of dreams about China the year the Olympics were going to be in China. My dreams led me in how to pray. They can also tell you what and how to pray for an individual. I had a dream that I got a visit from Kathy who was telling me that Jill was not living right. (I changed the names to protect the people.) I have no idea what Jill was doing but I knew to pray for her. God shares secrets with those he can trust not to tell but will pray. In Gen. 20:3 God warned Abimelech not to take Sarah as his wife or he would kill him. In Gen. 31:24 God warned Laban how to speak to Jacob. In both of these stories we don't get the dream just the interpretation. But in Joseph's dreams we get the dream and the interpretation. Joseph dreams that he and his brothers were binding sheaves in the field, and Joseph's sheaf rose up and stood and the brother's sheaves bowed down to his sheaf.
Dreams are word pictures. Joseph dreamed about binding sheaves because that is what he did; it was something he would understand. Since binding sheaves is what they did for the family the dream had to do with the family. They understood the picture. One day Joseph would be exalted and they would bow down to him. He would literally save the family from famine and starvation. We know that the dream came true but at the time the brothers could not conceive of bowing down to their younger brother who they hated. In his next dream he dreamed the sun and moon bowed down. His father immediately knew that the sun was him and the moon was his wife. In a broad sense the sun stands for God the Father and the moon stands for the church. The moon only shines when it reflects the light of the sun. It is always there but when it is dark the moon is visible to the eye and shines. That is a picture of the church in adversity. When the world is the darkest the church shines the brightest. To be continued....
Note: I have been praying about starting a Bible Study in my house and think this is the time. It will be on Monday mornings at 10am. If you are interested let me know. They won't start till September.

3 comments:

Larsen Family said...

I would love to do a study. I just don't know if 10 am on Monday's are going to work. I will be homeschooling this year and my schedule has not been solidified.

Ginny's gems said...

I wonder if afternoons would be better. I just don't want to do after 7 at night.

The Herzberg Family said...

Spoke with Ginny! September 12th, Saturday at 10:00am will be the 1st bible study! Come join us!