Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday's Devo - The Power of the Laugh

The Bible says that the joy of the Lord is out strength. A man once prophesied over me that I was a person who was suppose to laugh a lot. At the time I was depressed and overwhelmed with my circumstances and thought that would never happen. Then I thought, 'what a strange word to speak over someone'. Now that that has played out over the years I realize the power in that word. I have been in the grocery line laughing with the bagger when a teenage boy came running to us saying, "I want to laugh too.'' Amazing how many people don't ever laugh. Life has robbed them of their joy. When I was on my trip I went into rooms of people that were not believers and would end up laughing out loud and watch as they stared at me in wonder. Of course they had no idea what we were talking about because of the language barrier. But it did something to their heart. They wanted to be near us. Laughter is contageous. It is like a rare ointment being poured out and everyone is affected by its fragrance.
In Egypt I went shopping with Adam and Liz for material for their curtains. I had taken a roll of fabric and set it on top of a roll of fabric pretty high on the shelf. I tried to balance it on top so I could stand back and see it better but instead it rolled behind the display onto the ground behind the shelf. It was too comical and we all started laughing. I was afraid to look at the salesman's face because I knew it could go either way. But, to my delight he was laughing also. He seemed entertained by us and we got to share our joy with him. Laughter knows no language barrier. Proverbs says that a merry heart is like a medicine...it causes it to heal. So let's spread a little joy around. Didn't Jesus say that if we believe in him, out of our belly would flow rivers of living water.
Lord, thank you for giving a reason to have joy. Help us to spread this joy to others who need their heart healed.

No comments: