Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tues.'s Devo - Soulish Dreams

Read Job 33
We finished 1 Chron. so I thought we would diverge and learn about dreams. What are dreams and what are their purpose in our lives?
One of the definitions of dream is "recover". Job 33:15-17 says that in dreams "God opens the ears of men and seals their instruction, that He may withdraw man from his purpose and hide pride from man. He dreams to keep back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword." So what does all that mean?
We live very busy lives and all day long we are inundated with information both in the natural and the spiritual. So at night our body rests while our mind needs to recover and organize so it puts all the information into files in our brain. If we don't sleep we are not organized and if we keep losing sleep it will lead to mental unhealth. Also, when we sleep is sometimes the only time God can get us still enough to speak to us. There are soulish dreams and spiritual dreams but today I want to deal with soulish dreams. Soulish dreams that have to do with our lives. Job also says that out of much business we dream which just means that we dream about what is concerning us; what is going on in our lives. Our dreams can help us see ourselves in a way we are blinded to while awake. Dreams can warn you of a trial coming and what it will look like. Here is an example: One time I had a dream that I was riding in a car on a very foggy, rainy, dark night. My dad was driving the car. I was aware that I was in a dream though it was very real. We could hardly see out the window so I kept wiping the windshield so we could see. I wasn't afraid because I knew that my dad stood for God and that he was driving my car (running my life). Your car is your personal life or ministry. Suddenly we went through a tunnel that was very narrow and twisty. There were sharp ice shards on the wall of the tunnel. We were going very fast. I knew if a car came toward us we would be goners but I knew that God was driving so that was my confidence. Very quickly we were out of the tunnel and the sky was bright and shining with light and the landscape was flat. I woke up and knew that I was headed for a trial but I was not to be afraid because God was going to drive me through it and even though it would get dark and scary, it was going to end up great. Well, at the time everything was going great in my life and I could not even fathom where a trial might emerge but 2 weeks later I faced the biggest trial of my whole life. That dream literally carried me through it and it was just like the dream showed: hard, dark, but comforting to know the driver and safe in his car. The sharp ice shards were the criticism and judgment of people. We did come out on the other end and it was bright and the sun was shining. I am so thankful that God had taught me about dreams so he could use that to comfort me and give me strength.

4 comments:

Larsen Family said...

Thank you for posting this today. It helped me "sort of" translate a dream that I had last night; or at least, part of it. I am trying to fully discern the entire thing, it definitely has me wondering.

Ginny's gems said...

If you want me to look at it you can send it to my e=mail: ginny.hathorn@yahoo.com

Georgia said...

This is so good. I would love to hear more teaching from you about dreams.

Ginny's gems said...

I'm so glad your learning from this. Dreams have been so important in my life. I pray this will expand your areas of hearing from God.