Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday's Devo - Honoring Mom

My mother is coming to visit today. I am so excited because it has been 3 years since she has been here. She is flying in tonight from Shreveport, La. and will stay till Thursday. She is 83 so we'll have to take things slowly. I often think of that scripture "honor your mother and your father that your days may be long upon the land..." I'm going to think about it when my mother has to have 3 pillows with her every time she sits. And when she takes 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. And when she talks excessively. I dearly love my mother but it is sometimes difficult for me to be patient. I really want our visit to go well and I realize this might be the last time she comes here.
But, let me tell you about my mom. She was raised in North Carolina in a Lutheran Church. Her mom died when she was 13 of cancer and her dad was a piano tuner. When the depression hit there was little need for a piano tuner so her dad sent her to live with her rich aunt and uncle and favorite cousin in Haggerstown. They just about owned the town so she loved living with them for the rest of her teens. She went to college and studies clothes and textiles and was a very accomplished clothes designer. Her proffesor was very impressed with her creative ability and told her she could be famous designing dresses. She moved to New York and became a buyer for Riches Dept. Store. She realized that New York was not a good place for a good girl so she moved back home. She met my dad, got married and moved to Shreveport to start a family. She had my older brother, me and my younger brother.
They joined the Baptist Church because it was most like what they were both used to and she met Jesus personally for the first time. We went to that church till I was in high school. Then my parents found out about the Charasmatic Renewal and became radical believers. My mom was one of the biggest soul-winners I have ever known personally. She lived for the purpose of seeing people come to know Jesus. My dad was one a servant who lived what he believed. I owe so much of who I am to my parents and am very grateful for the heritage I came from. So I'm going to remember that when things go a little slower than I like them to go. I am going to honor my mother with joy and gratitude.
Lord, thank you for all the people that have poured into our lives. May they be blessed for what they have done and may they eat the fruit of their labors.

3 comments:

Larsen Family said...

Sounds like your mom has had quite a life; how exciting. I hope you enjoy her visit and enjoy the slow pace. We aren't all blessed to have such wonderful parents. So enjoy and embrace her.

Unknown said...

Thank you for encouraging us all in the task of loving our parents. I think Jesus really cares about little things, like the attitude of our hearts.

Ginny's gems said...

Thanks, girlfriends!