Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tues.'s Devo - Great Advise

Read Pro. 11:14
"Where there is no counsel, the people fall..." Let's just look at the first part. Imagine not having the Word or anyone with experience to bounce things off of or go to for advise. The Word is the best counsel there is but sometimes you need the help of other people. They can give you another perspective or experiential knowledge that can be invaluable. I have just purchased an older house for my business and God's business, but before I bought it I took a myriad of people over to the house to ask them their opinion. Then I called our accountant, our lawyers, our insurance agent, and my mother to ask them what they thought about it. I valued their opinion and their advise. I know that I can get so excited about something that I will overlook the obvious because of my emotions, but they all encouraged me on so I pursue it. But most of all I talked to God about it. He seemed to be parting the waters for me to buy it so I just kept walking in that direction. Without counsel, it is easy to fall into pitfalls.
"...But in the multitude of counselors there is safety." It is comforting to have people advising you and warning you of any problems they can foresee. Then you can be prepared ahead of time for any problem that might be obvious to others. For me, it has been so much fun to have people join with me and be a part of what God is doing in my life. I don't feel alone in this risky adventure and I have people around me to encourage me and celebrate with me. God did not mean for us to do life by ourselves. Those are my pastor's famous words. We were designed for fellowship and to function as a body so we need one another.
Lord, help us to humble ourselves and ask for advise and help from our other members. Tues.'s

No comments: