Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday's Devo - Suddenly

This week my middle son, Caleb, proposed to his girlfriend, Katy. He had been waiting to ask her dad's permission and finally got to ask him last week-end. He wanted to make it special so he decided to cook her her favorite meal. It was red beans and rice. He called me that morning to ask me how to do it. I asked him if he had soaked the beans. He said, "What?" He had never heard of such a thing since cooking beans was not something I ever did when he was growing up. So he wanted to know how he was suppose to know that. Since I was way too complicated he decided to call Katy's mom who had the right recipe. She is from New Orleans and had a 45 minute version. I think that is cheating but if that's what Katy likes then what can I say. He managed to cook it without anymore of my great advice. He got to the last ingredient and realized he didn't have any sausage. He knew she liked Eckridge so he went to the store to get it. He came home with Eckridge hot dogs. By this time Katy was helping him and had had the worse day ever. She got laid off of her new job. When he walked in with the hot dogs she burst out laughing and it saved the day.
They sat down to eat and after one delicious bite of beans and weinies over rice he popped the question. She loved the one bite but was too excited to eat anymore. She called us and everyone else she knew. Her bad day turned around in one minute.
My word for this year was "suddenly". When God comes on the scene he changes everything suddenly just like Caleb's proposal did for Katy. God will suddenly save Israel and he suddenly saves lives everyday. If you are waiting for God to do something impossible for you hold tight because He is the god of the "sudden". He will suddenly move on your behalf. God bless.

1 comment:

Larsen Family said...

Great story. Congrats on your new daughter.