Friday, September 25, 2009

Fri.'s Devo - How Great is Our God

We are finished with Romans and I am asking God where we should go next. I want to wait till Monday and start so I asked God what he might want to tell us today. I immediately started singing
"How great, how great your kindness is to us.
How great, how great your goodness is to us,
How great, how great your mercy is to us,
How great, the love the Father lavishes on us."
Then the song...
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning. Great is thy faithfulness O Lord, great is thy faithfulness."
So I think God just wants us to declare his attributes.
I have been reading in Jeremiah where God is going to bring destruction and war to punish their wickedness but he always offers them a last chance. (Jer. 26:2-3 "Give them my entire message; include every word. Perhaps they will listen and turn from their evil ways. Then I will change my mind about the disaster I am ready to pour out on them because of their sins.") He always has a plan for saving the people who will obey. God told them to surrender to their enemies and be taken to Egypt and all would go well with them. They refused to listen and refused to surrender so most of them were killed. Even after all this he gives them promise after promise of restoration. He promises to gather them together and bring them back to their own land where they will be fruitful and increase in number. God will appoint responsible shepherds who will care for them, and they will never be afraid again. Not a single one will be lost or missing. (Jer 23:2-3)
God's ways are gracious and kind. He loves to forgive, receive and restore us. Even when our nation is being judged for its wickedness there is always a place of refuge for the people of God and there is always the promise of greater things ahead. Thank you Lord for your great kindness and love that you lavish on your children every day. We love you.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Very good! Thanks for sharing! Hey, are you still having ladies over tomorrow? Let me know... Monica