Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tues.'s Devo - A New Name

Read Pr. 30:1-4
Agur is a man not mentioned anywhere else in scripture. His name means gathered or received among the sages. His name is also a fancy name for Solomon although his way of writing is different than any of the other Proverbs. He is an observer of life who uses everyday things to learn from. He realizes his frailty and God's enormous power and is very humbled by it. It is interesting to note that he speaks of the creator and his son in verse 4. By wanting to know his name he is wanting to know his character and his authority. Names were very important and their meanings were prophetic. That reminds me of a dream I had this week. I have had some challenges lately and have called out to God for help often. In my dream I was driving out of the woods and came to a street that was under construction. There were open air shops along my way and I saw a man standing outside his shop. He looked at me and smiled. He was very familiar to me. I had seen him do other menial jobs all over the city and I knew he was very good at everything he did but very humble. No job was too base for him. As I was thinking all this a man in a shop a few shops down came out and asked him to come and help him. He called him Grace. I woke up and realized that he was the help I was always asking God for and he always came and helped me do whatever I needed him to help me to. That is how powerful names are. They tell our character so the name of Jesus is a powerful name.
Lord, you amaze me with your wisdom. You said that you will give us a new name and only we will know it. Show us what this name is and thank you for the power in your name.

No comments: