Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Wed.'s Devo - Godly Counsel

Read Pro. 12:15
I have been studying Joshua and his take over of the Promised Land. It is amazing how many times they repeat the same mistake. God will give them the exact strategy to win a great victory like at Jericho and then at the next town they get arrogant and try to do it without the Lord's guidance and they fall. At Ai, they realized they had forgotten to ask God so they repented and God showed them why they lost. They fixed the situation and won. At the next town they got themselves deceived by the men at Gibea and had to spare their lives instead of killing them like they should have. If they had just stopped and asked God about these men, he would have been more than willing to tell them the truth. It would have spared them the pain of disobeying God and not getting his best plan.
Good ideas are not always God's ideas. A fool goes by what he feels is right, but a wise man will ask God for his advise. God sees the future and knows just what we need to do even if we think we know best. God surrounds us with godly council, if we just ask him for it. Sometimes that counsel will come from our kids and sometimes an older mentor. We just need to be humble enough to receive it.
Lord, help us to seek you in everything we do. We cannot presume to do anything apart from you.

3 comments:

Larsen Family said...

So, if good ideas aren't always God's ideas. Then, are CRAZY/OFF the WALL ideas HIS? Curious and praying for wisdom/discernment. :)

Ginny's gems said...

That is hard to say. When I need to make a decision that I am praying about I let God confirm it. I open my spiritual eyes for answers in the Word, in my dreams, in circumstances, in songs, anything that comes my way I am constantly looking for answers. It is sometimes confusing when you have an opinion so try not to. I do know this... God is always talking and he gives you the wisdom you need to do the right thing.

Larsen Family said...

Thanks. I'll try to have no opinion either way. I am listening and waiting. :)