Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wednesday's Devo - High Definition

Read 1 Sam. 21
I have always found that the truth is the best policy when dealing with the household of God. I wonder if David had told Ahimelech the truth; would it have saved his life in the end? David probably thought by not telling him the truth, he was saving it. We'll never know. Anyway, David was fleeing the wrath of Saul and came to Nob hungry and without a weapon. He lied to the priest and was given holy bread for his men and Goliath's sword. The only hitch was Doeg, Saul's head shephard was there and overheard what was going on.
David then took his men to Gath. David was afraid of the king of Achish, king of Gath so he acted insane. It worked and the king didn't want anything to do with him.
David made a lot of decisions off the cuff. I wonder if he prayed for wisdom that morning or he just decided to do this all on his own. It sounds more like he reacted rather than acted. He was out to save his skin; period.
I find that my snap decisions are usually wrong. If I will just take a minute and ask God for his guidance and calm my anxious heart to hear, I will get a much better picture and not miss the little details that will come back and bite me later. Acting out of fear distorts right thinking. David should have told the priest the truth and let the priest pray for him. The priest probably still would have given him the bread and the sword, but he would have been better prepared for Saul's questions later. He also could have warned David about Doeg so David could have killed him then.
I will have to say the plea for insanity was a pretty ingenious trick. It just goes to show, the enemy isn't "all knowing" or very discerning.
Lord, we do not want to see through our own distorted thinking. We want your eyes that see in HD. Give us wisdom to wait on You and let you show us the little details that are paramount in our walk.

No comments: