Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday's Devo - Image...Imagine...Imagination

2 Co. 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ..."
I have to "cast down imaginations" a lot!. Around Christmas I was asked by my biggest client to make curtains for his mom. So I did. I even bought the rod and hung them myself. They turned out just what she wanted and everyone was happy. But I was left with the dilimma of how to charge them. I owe 75% of my business to this person and love him dearly. I prayed about the price and felt good about it till I told him. I had left the ticket at home which showed how much discount I gave him so instead I just gave him the bottom line. I couldn't quite read his face, but he seemed distant instead of his jovial self. I felt a little devastated and tried to think of all the ways I could "redeem" the situation, like: giving him a new ticket with the price and his discount, not cashing the check and giving it all back, or nothing. After losing sleep over it, going over and over the cost, and basically feeling lousy, I decided to bundle the whole thing up and throw it in God's lap. I guess this was my way of "bringing it into captivity". God reminded me that He helped me come up with the price, it was very fair, the devil loves condemnation, and I should rest in peace. Well, I felt fine untill I had to go face this person this week for the first time since I had gotten his payment. I said a quick prayer about letting me act normal and walked into the store. The first thing out of his mouth was, "my mom is ready for some more curtains!" I was sooooooooooo relieved. "Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus". What had I been so afraid of? That imagination was a waist of worry. Most of them are.
So what makes us always think the worst of ourselves. It is our lack of faith in God. He made us for success, not failure and he is working in us to bring us to success, not failure. The devil, on the other hand wants us to fail, not succeed and he is working in us to bring about failure. His greatest weapon is intimidation. Didn't he do that to Jesus in the wilderness: "If... if.... if... you are the son of God." He WAS the son of God and WE are his children sent to do his work so we need to use the Word of God on the devil and cast down his imaginations.
Thank you Lord, for teaching us everyday to walk closer to you. When we draw near to you, You are tangibly close to us. Help us to cast down our imaginations and chose yours.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The NAS translation says we are "destroying speculations"--I wonder this, I wonder that. Truth is, we KNOW things about God; we don't have to speculate. And what we don't know, we trust to him.

Good system. Wish I always walked in it!