Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tues's. Devo - The Power of Help

Read Pro. 3:27-35
When we see a need and know we can help, we are to help. If we put it off then we will lose the urge to give or forget. We could be someone's answer to their prayer. We have the power to do good in our hand and are to honor those who deserve it. When I read verse 29-30 I think of raising my boys. It boils down to this: don't pick a fight. We are not to envy those who are bullies and wish for their power. Their ways are disgusting to the Lord but he has intimacy with the ones who choose the right way. Those who rebel from God live under His curses but those who follow God's Word live under his blessings. He will mock those who mock him and pour his favor on the humble. To choose God is to inherit the copious weight of God's Spirit; but fools will inherit shame.
The other day I was in need of help. I was going to the gym to work out when a storm hit. I thought I could make it to the front door before the heavy rain hit but I was wrong. Instead the rain and wind were so bad I could hardly walk and my rain hat flew off. I tried to chase it but gave up when I saw it headed for an open field. I was so disappointed because that rain hat cost me $40 and matched my rain coat. I finally battled the rain and wind and made it into the gym. A few minutes later the rain abated! If I had only waited. I was complaining to the man at the front desk about my hat. A few minutes later he walked up to me holding my hat! I was so excited. A guy had seen it fly by his truck and ran after it for me. He had the power to do good and chose to do it. I will always think of the kindness of that person every time I wear my hat.
Lord, so many times it is the small things that you give us to do like retrieve someone's hat from the tornadoes of life. What ever you place in our path to do I pray that we would seize the moment and do it.

No comments: