Friday, May 21, 2010

Fri.'s Devo - Don't be Deceived

Read Pro. 5:1-14
Proverbs tells us many times to choose wisdom but this chapter seems to go a step deeper. He tells us to prick up our ears to hear truth and stretch our hearing to understand so that we won't be deceived, and be guarded because he is warning us against sexual sins which can be the most deceptive. It goes on to explain why: the temptress whether man or woman is very seductive in their speech. They know just what to say to push our buttons but the future of pursuing that relationship is very detrimental. It leads us down the path to destruction and misery; not happy bliss. So when we find ourselves tempted to follow after wrong relationships we should run as far as we can in the other direction. If we don't, we will end up giving our beauty, our youth, our wealth and our hard work to others and our end will be shame and regret.
We see this play out so often in real life. I remember years ago I ran into an old friend who was single and she excitedly told me about a new boyfriend she had. When she told me his name I told her to run as fast as she could in the other direction. She didn't believe me and continued the relationship. I saw her months later and she told me she wished she had done what I had advised. It is so hard to see the truth when you are emotionally involved which is why we should listen to the wisdom of God's Word and other people we trust.
Lord, we are so vulnerable and need your wisdom and discernment. Teach us your wisdom so that we won't be tempted to be deceived.

No comments: