Monday, May 3, 2010

Mon.'s Devo - Chains about your Necks

Read Prov. 1:7-19
I'm sorry, I forgot to post Fri's devotion before I went out of town so here it is today.
Being able to really understand and see life as God made it, we must have a reverence of God. Fear of God is the first fruit of knowledge. The Bible calls a person who doesn't worship God a fool. People who are silly hate reproof and wisdom. If we are going to build the name of God and be a son or an heir we must hear our father's instruction and obey it. God made it so easy for us by writing it down and making it accessible to everyone. God's word adorns us with His favor. His Word is like a chains about our neck. I wonder if that is so we won't be easily turned or distracted. If we are enticed by sinners we are to resist. He gives us a great description of the tactics of the enemy:
1. They look for some innocent person to attack and kill
2. They prey on those who are alive and whole, full of integrity and strength
3. They entice them with wealth and other people's possessions
4. They promise unity and brotherhood but they are selfish and murderous
God says to walk away from them and choose another path to follow. They are quick to find evil and murder.
I just got back from visiting friends and relatives in Monroe, Shreveport, and Texarkana. I came home with 3 necklaces, two that were gifts from friends and one that was a fundraiser for a foundation set up after the loss of their son due to a boating accident. So each of them had meaning. I was contemplating the meaning of getting these necklaces when I just reread what I had written before I went that God's instructions are like chains about our necks. How sweet of God to manifest that truth in an physical way.
Lord, let your Words be our adornment.

No comments: