Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sat. Devo - Go Ye Therefore

Acts 1:8 But you shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and you shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem. and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
We were in Shreveport, La. for Memorial Day. My mom is a soul-winner and 2 years ago went to the Veteran's Hospitol on Veteran's Day to witness. Last year she was not healthy enough to go, but this year she wanted to go and asked if I wanted to go with her. I was reluctant at first, tired from the week-end at the lake and said I didn't think I would go. Then the Lord reminded me of the blessing I would miss if I didn't go, so I decided to go. When we got there we decided we would split up and mom would take one side of the hall and I would take the other. The first and only room I went in was Dan's. He had only been there for 3 weeks and was very coherent and friendly. I sat and listened to his story, wrapped in attention. I told him there were 2 types of veterans: those who were saved and those who were about to be. Which one was he? He told me he wasn't saved but he was going to Paradise when he died. I asked him if he knew Jesus and he said yes, then he began to tell me his testamony.
When he was 12 his uncle took him to a carnival. He had never been to one before and didn't even know what a carnival was. On the way they stopped by every beer joint on the way which was about 8. His uncle would order 2 beers and give him one. When he got there he was mezmerized by the ferris wheel so his uncle put him on it. About the 3rd time around he started puking and threw up on everyone. That night he had a dream that he was walking up a hill. Jesus, who was beautiful, was on the hill teaching people. He turned to Dan and said, "Dan, what are YOU doing here?" Dan told him he didn't know and asked him if he was in heaven. Jesus didn't answer his question but told him he was sending Dan back to earth because he had work for him to do." Dan woke up saved and an alcoholic. He drank himself through 7 wives and many beer joints. He would pray that God would take away the desire to drink and one day the Holy Spirit came over him in a very tangible way and he has never desired a drink since.
As I sat there listening to him, I thought I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather be. I am so grateful that I have a mother that loves God like I do and has given me the desire to walk with him. She got to lead a man to the Lord. I got to pray for Dan and listen to his story. I pray that Dan was as blessed as much as I was.

No comments: