Saturday, April 11, 2009

Saturday's Devo - Ashes to Beauticians

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days,...to give light upon the earth." Gen 1:24-25
I went to get my hair cut this week and was reminded of my beautician when I first moved to Monroe. I was newly-wed and money was pretty tight. I found a lady who lived a mile from my house and her shop was in her home. She was around my age and pretty raw. Her language was very raw. I didn't witness to her with my mouth, but what I didn't say spoke volumes to her. I would pray for her all the time. Little by little I noticed a change in her speach and her attitude. After about a year of going to her she was telling me she was going back to church. Her life turned around and she came back to Jesus. She ended up moving and I had to find a new beautician. I decided to go to Kim, my arobic instructor who was in beauty school. She was such a beautiful girl and I was intimidated by her looks, but she was intimidated by my God. I kept going even though it was uncomfortable for both of us. She was not walking with God and as far as I was concerned: unsaved. When she graduated she opened up shop in a prestigious beauty shop and I had to pay a lot more to have her cut my hair, but she always gave me a discount because I had used her while she was a school. She quit after a few years to spend more time at home with her family and I didn't see her for years. Our city started a Bible Study Fellowship and they were having teas around the city to get people informed and signed up. God kept telling me to call and invite her. I finally couldn't fight God any longer and picked up the phone and called her. I was so nervous but I just told her God would not let me alone till I envited her to a tea. She was blown away but thanked me. I wasn't able to attend the bible study but Kim ended up going to it for years. Everytime I ran into her she would thank me. It revolutionized her life forever.
I have witnessed this same change in my beautician I go to now, many of my employers over the years, and people I work out with. We truly are lights that God lifts up to give light to the earth. The people in Matt. 26:73 knew Peter had been with Jesus because of his speach. It wasn't his accent they were talking about. It was the lack of curse words, the compassion in his voice, something that set him apart as different. We carry Jesus inside us everywhere we go. Let's pour Him out on everyone. I feel redundant in saying this but it's just the gospel truth! Go let your light shine!

No comments: