Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Tues.’s Devo - Family

Read: Pr. 17-19
Proverbs has much to say about family. It is better to eat peanut butter sandwiches in peace than to have a full blown Thanksgiving meal with conflict. Nothing is worse than sitting at the table with someone who doesn’t want to understand you or that takes everything you say wrongly. It doesn’t matter if the whole family drove for miles to eat this delicious meal. I would rather eat crackers and laugh with people who love me.
I found this very interesting: “Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children.” I had to think about this for a while but it makes sense. I talk about my grandchildren all the time now but when I was young I talked about my parents. I’m keeping two of my grandkids right now and they love us to pieces but when they hurt themselves they want their momma.
Another place says that a real friend will stick closer than a brother. What if that real friend was your brother. That would be the greater. Our real friend is our brother, our Savior, our Lord. He always has our back.
If we have sons or grandsons, we need to be praying for them to find an understanding wife. If we have daughters and granddaughters we need to teach them to be understanding.
Here’s one to think about: “Children who mistreat their father or chase away their mother are an embarrassment and a public disgrace.” We need to teach this to our children when they are young. There is nothing more demeaning than watching a child disrespect their parent when they are old enough to know better.
Lord, help us to be good children, parents and grandparents.

No comments: