Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wed.’s Devo - Jesus’ Betrayal

Read Luke 22:48-62 Judas kissed Jesus to point out to the soldiers who he was. Jesus turned to Judas and asked, “Judas, do you betray the Son of man with a kiss?” I wonder how many times that question played in Judas’ head before he took his life? Peter cut off a soldier’s ear to fight for Jesus but Jesus just touched the man’s ear and it was healed. (That man had some soul-searching to do after that night.) Jesus turned to the chief priests, captains of the temple, and the elders and asked them why they came at night like a thief when they could have taken him anytime in the temple during the day. Jesus was making a point. The devil steals at night; he is afraid to do his work during the day because the light shines on his work and exposes him. Jesus explained that this was the power of darkness. They took Jesus to the high priest’s house and Peter followed at a distance. Interesting that they would take The High Priest to the high priest’s house. Someone made a fire outside so Peter sat with those waiting a verdict. A young girl saw Peter and recognized him as one of Jesus’ disciples. Peter denied it. A while later another man saw Peter and also recognized him as a disciple of Jesus. Peter denied it a second time. The third denial came an hour later when a man swore Peter was with Jesus because he was a Galilean. This time when Peter denied it the cock crowed. Jesus turned and looked at him and Peter remembered the prophecy Jesus had given him. Before the cock crowed he would deny him 3 times. Peter left and found a place to weep bitterly. I wonder how many times I have denied the Lord with my actions or my words? How many times have I refused compassion because it was just not convenient or I was just not in the mood to reach out? I do know this… I have not wept bitterly over it. Lord, give me a heart of compassion and discernment. I can’t imagine denying knowing You, but I’m sure I have in other ways. Forgive my insensitivity and help me be alive to your heart.

No comments: