Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thurs.'s Devo - ???

Read Pr. 25: 23
This is one of those verses that I would like to know the context of. You wonder what was happening that made them make this statement. This is suppose to be wisdom but it is too high for me. I thought I understood that the north wind drives away the rain until I look up the meaning of north and wind. North means hidden, gloomy and unknown. Wind means breath, life, anger. Rain in scripture has to do with the timed blessings of God. So hidden anger drives away the blessing of God. The next part has me puzzled: In the same way anger drives away blessing, having an angry face drives away gossip and slander. I guess it is like your dad looking at you with that expression that makes you know not to say something you were considering saying.
Lord, I don't understand this verse totally but I pray that you will open our eyes to the wisdom of your word. I know that in Song of Solomon the man prays that the north wind will come and the south wind to blow upon his garden so that the spices will flow out. So you bring things our way that cause your aroma to flow out of us. They may look bad to us at the time and we might not understand them but they are for a far greater purpose than our comfort. We submit ourselves to your hand.

No comments: