Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday's Devo Hang Mercy on the Windows of Your Life

I have been reading in Exodus about the tabernacle. Today's reading was about the curtains. God was very meticulous about them. I understand all that since making curtains is my business. I remember when I first started out I was mainly doing model homes for a builder. That was a great place to start because I made my mistakes there and not in someone's actual home. I use to take my best friend, Anna with me to help me hang them. One time we were out-of-town hanging curtains in a model and we had been there for 5 hours!!! Some of that time was spent at Wal-mart getting stuff to patch up our mistakes, some at Sonic getting refreshments, and some being locked out and trying to get someone to let us in. Everything that could go wrong did. I had to sit on the floor and sew by hand one curtain that I had messed up on. Finally when I was drilling the last hole into the wall I heard Anna's voice saying, "Did you measure that first?" Of course I did. When I went to put the rod up my hole was not 1 inch off but 6!!! I just knew I was going to turn around and see Anna's livid face. This had to be the last straw. But, when I slowly turned around to see her reaction she was on the floor cracking up laughing. I knew mercy had met frustration. I couldn't believe that she was not mad. Now we had to patch up that hole and drill another. She was a single mom with kids who had been home alone since 4. It was now 6:30 at night and we still had a 30 minute ride home. I will never forget her mercy.
God's mercy is so like that. I wonder if when we mess up and are filled with condemnation if He isn't rolling on the floor laughing with us. We take ourselves so serious and blame ourselves for being human. Mistakes are such great opportunities. Think of all the discoveries that were discovered through mistakes. (Sorry, I can't think of one right now) Oh! My third child was a "mistake". What a great mistake!!! The Bible says that goodness and mercy shall follow us all the days of our lives: and we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Those are a pretty awesome duo to have your back.
Thank you Lord, for your infinite mercy and grace. We need it every day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can so see Anna laughing at you. And I love the idea of hanging mercy in the windows--where we look out, where light comes in. As we have received, so we give; as God sees us, so we see others.

Very important to receive first!