Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thurs. Devo - Would You Like My Opinion?....No?

Read 2 Sam 6:1-7
David took 30,000 of his valiant men along with all the people to bring the ark of God from Gibeah to the city of David. Everything was going well: the priests had the ark on a new cart and all Israel was praising and making joyful song until the oxen jostled the ark and Uzzah steadied the ark with his hand. This made God very angry; so he killed Uzzah.
This all seems harsh to us. Why would God kill Uzzah when he was just trying to protect the ark from falling? I can tell you, God does not need any help from us to save him. There is nothing, nothing, nothing that we possess that God needs. He is an all-sufficient God. He desires our fellowship and devotion, but He does not need our protection. We need His.
How many times do I think of ways I can help God...maybe He didn't think about what I'm thinking. Maybe He needs my help. How ludicrous is that? For one thing, he knows all my thoughts, so just thinking it, he hears. He already knows the plan, because it's His plan. He already knows the right way to pull it off, because He is all-knowing and wisdom personified. He has the best idea....all the time. I guess I need to keep my opinion to myself.
Lord, it is really comforting to know that You never need help, that you are always strong, your blood never gets tired, and you are always on top of things. And amazingly you never get tired of getting me in line. Thank you for your patience. Help me to remember not to put forth my hand to touch your work. Let me only touch it with my faith.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't you wonder what would have happened if the ark had fallen? God out of the box...