Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday's devo - Expand Your Borders

I just got a call from Michael, my children's youth pastor who now lives in Kansas City. Dave and I worked with him and his wife, Michelle for about 7 years. We were his only helpers for most of that time. I loved them for many reasons but one of them was because they were intense about getting our kids to follow God. He taught them to love worship. He and his wife were very musical and true worshipers. They have one daughter who is about 10 now. They have had about 3 miscarriages since they had her and now God has led them to desire to adopt a native-American child. They are going to South Dakota tomorrow to an orphanage where they will be told if they can bring one home. How exciting!
God is speaking adoption everyone. We can all adopt. Dave and I don't feel we are to legally adopt a child but every Wed. night our home is filled with up to 20 kids we have "spiritually adopted." I was at a church service in Baton Rouge about 20 years ago. During the "meet and greet" time this lady sitting behind me shook my hand and welcomed us. She turned me back around and said, "Children, children, children, the Lord says you will have many children." I told her that Dave had just had a vasectomy. She told me we might need to have it reversed. We went home and took her word to heart and had his vascectomy reversed. We didn't have any more children, but I know that was a prophetic act. It said to God, we will allow you to bring more children into our lives if you want to.
Since then, literally hundreds of children have come through our doors. I tutored kids from every school in Monroe and poured God's love into their barren hearts. We are all called to take care of the orphan.
Lord, show us how we can fulfill this command in our lives.

No comments: