Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wed. devo - Rescue Us from Ourselves

Read 1 Sam 29
I often get myself into situations where I need God to rescue me. Sometimes I volunteer myself for things I shouldn't or let someone talk me into doing something I am not gifted to do, or I overextend myself (which is usually my dilemma). It is then that I cry out to God to come down and rescue me. I love that song by Casting Crowns that says "I would have thought by now; You would have come down and wiped our tears away; reached down and saved the day..." He IS great at rescuing me and in today's reading He IS great at rescuing David.
David is living with the Philistines but goes on covert operations to fight against them. Today he is fighting with the Philistines against Saul. What will he do? I can imagine the prayers he sent up to God. God heard and came down and rescued him. The other Philistine armies didn't trust David and refused to let David fight with them. They were smart. Achish, David's Philistine friend/king tells David the bad news. He won't be fighting with them today. David acts appalled but bows out and takes his men back home. Actually, God has another mission for David (but that is tomorrow's reading).
Sometimes it seems like God is slow in rescuing us, but he is really right on time. God doesn't live in our time and space; he lives in eternity and spirit. So he isn't seeing what we see, the way we see it, and we aren't seeing what He sees, the way He sees it. I wonder who has the best view?!?
Lord, rescue us from ourselves. Help us to make wise decisions where we don't need rescuing so often, but thank you that you never tire of handing us a rope.

No comments: