Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tues Devo - God's gift to us

Read 1 Sam 4:12-22
A soldier from the battle with his clothes torn and earth upon his head. This was a sign of great mourning. He didn't even have the strength to stay and fight. He told the whole town what that the Philistines had won, they had taken the ark and the priests Hophne and Phinihas were killed. When Eli heard the news about the ark his failing heart gave up, he fell over backwards and broke his neck and died.
His daughter-in-law was very pregnant and when she found out she went into labor. As the child was being born, she was slowly dieing. When the midwife told her it was a boy she was unmoved. She named the child Ichabod which means "no glory" because the ark of God was taken, and because of her father-in-law and her husband. She said, "The glory is departed from Israel; for the ark of God is taken.
It is hard for me to understand such sorrow over a piece of furniture. But then I have to realize that that piece of furniture was God's presence. I take for granted that God's spirit is always with me. I don't have to worry about it being taken away and I don't have to travel for miles every year to go see it. It is in me. That helps me understand a little better what a gift the Holy Spirit was. When Jesus told his disciples to go to Jerusalem and wait because He was going to give them a gift. What a gift!!! Thank you Lord for the gift of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: