Saturday, December 13, 2008

"Planning the Meal"

It's Christmas time and a great time to reflect on things. Christmas fills me with such opposing and diverse emotions. I love it because Jesus is brought out of the closet, dusted off and put on a shelf for all to see. I was walking through Wal-Mart the other morning and the song "O Holy Night" was playing through the speakers. I have to admit I was almost embarassed because using his name in public places has become a federal offense in our nation. Then, I relaxed and relished in hearing my Savior's name sung so all could hear. People seem to be friendlier and more out-going. Total strangers start conversations while standing in shopping lines. Salvation Army bells ring everywhere. Everyone wants your money from the mall to the non-profit organizations. Churches everywhere have programs to express the real meaning of the season. Kids are making their lists and visiting Santa Clause in the mall. It is such a busy time.
But for me, this Christmas is so different. For one thing, it will be the first Christmas we don't spend with our kids. We will to to La. to see them the week-end before Christmas then come back to OK. Dave has to work Christmas Eve till 7 and also the day after Christmas. We have had invitations for Christmas Day so we don't feel sad about it; actually we feel a little excited. We decided to do something manevolent so I called all the shelters, and organizations I could think of that might be feeding the less fortunate. I had no idea that my idea was such a popular thing to do. They all had enough volunteers. I finally called Day Spring Villa, a shelter for battered women and their children. They had one other couple who had offered to serve on Christmas day. When I asked her what I could do, she replied, "You could plan the meal". Well, that was not exactly what I had in mind. I am not the administrative type and would rather help someone else's plan, not BE the plan. She kept repeating that I could "plan the meal" so I told her I would get back with her. I had to talk to Dave and pray about this one. I finally decided to call back and find out exactly what "planning the meal" meant. Well, it means you decide what 45 people are going to eat, and make out the grocery list. They buy the food and have it there waiting for you Christmas day. You prepare it, serve it, and I imagine, clean up. Well there you have it: "plan the meal".
Come to think of it, that is exactly what God did on Christmas two thousand years ago. He planned the meal. He sent the bread of Heaven down for us to eat. He invited everyone from the peasant to the king to come to his table and eat his meat. He even watched his meal be prepared, killed, and offered up for all men forever to partake of. Many turned up their noses at the sacrificial meal that God gave. I wonder how that makes God feel? I wonder if I will feel a teeny bit of what He feels if they don't like what I plan?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad you are an imitator of God. Go, Ginny! How sad, if on a day when other organizations are saying "we have plenty of help", there was no one to plan for these lovely women & children that God adores? God has led you to "the least of these" and He will bless whatever small offering you give Him.