Sunday, December 11, 2016

Sun.’s Devo - Wisdom from James

Read: James 1-3
James is a book for Christians who desire to grow in their walk with Christ. Our reaction to his first paragraph is a good indicator of our maturity at the time. James tells us to be joyful in trials because the waiting we have to endure produces patience. Sometimes this is an encouragement to me and sometimes it makes me a little upset at God. That is when I know I need to put on my big girl britches and grow up. Life is not about our comfort but about what we are becoming in Christ. James tells us that if we will let our patience grow through our trials, we will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. That is a very worthy goal!
The next part tells us how to get patience and endurance: ask God for wisdom! Our generous, loving on-our-side Father will give it to us every time.
I have been struggling over our next adventure. Our youngest son, his wife, and their two children are coming to live with us. I needed to read this today. Instead of worrying about it, I need to ask for God’s wisdom every time I meet an obstacle I don’t know how to respond. God has an answer for everything. Worrying is the opposite of faith which is why James tells us that you can’t receive God’s wisdom without faith.
A few more tidbits James gives us are not to get angry at people and to learn how to control our tongue. The ability to control our tongues is the ultimate test of maturity. Gulp!
Lord, help us to show our faith by the way we live our lives. Faith is active so help us to walk in love and faith. We lay down our selfish ambitions and choose to walk in sincere love.

No comments: