Friday, June 3, 2016

Fri.’s Devo - The Song of Solomon

Read: Song of Solomon
Most people don’t know what to do with the Song of Solomon and yet it says that this is Solomon’s song of songs, more wonderful than any other. It is a song about a beautiful romance between a young man and a young woman. God loves romance since that is what this world is all about - finding a bride for his son. I read it as Jesus love and pursuit of me. It is a very personal and intimate story that would make me blush to read out loud but it warms my heart to read it to myself.
The woman is a who has had to work in the sun and doesn’t feel pretty or worthy of such a man. The man, however, absolutely adores the woman and thinks she is beautiful. He lavishes her with praises and gifts and they enjoy the presence of one another.
At one point she loses her lover but knows that he has gone to walk among the lilies. She goes there and finds him where they continue their romance. Jesus is the lily of the valley.
This is a song about a fresh young love. When we first meet Jesus, we are giddy about him. He is our first love. We need to return to our first love and fall back in love with him like this Shulamite woman. Then we can say like her, “I am my lover’s and he claims me as his own.
Lord, may we linger in the gardens of your love and hear your voice there.

No comments: