Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tues.'s Devo - Matters of the Heart

Read Pr. 21:1-2
This first verse always gives me comfort. No matter who is in control of our country, your company, or your family their heart is in God's hand. He will direct their heart even if they don't know God. Our president's heart is in God's hand and He can cause him to make decisions he wouldn't normally make because God controls his heart. Remember the Pharoah of Moses's time; God chose to harden his heart. It doesn't seem fair but how can the clay say to the potter 'why did you make me this way?' God creates people for evil and people for good all for the purpose of bringing his elect to the place he wants them. The word "heart" used in this verse means the feelings, will and even the intellect; the center of anything. The next verse says that man judges his actions right in his own estimation but God will study his heart. God will measure out why we do what we do and consider our motives. Why we do what we do is more important than what we do. We may give all our money to the poor but if God reads our heart and we are only doing it to be approved of man then man's approval is our reward. But if we give our of a pure heart really wanting to help the people he has created then we will be rewarded by God here and in heaven. The older I get the more I realize that what I do now will effect my eternity. I find that I want to do more things in secret unto him than I used to. Life is a really short time compared to eternity. Ecc. says that God has written eternity in the hearts of every man.
Lord, help us live today for eternity. Turn our hearts toward you and what you want.

No comments: