Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tues.'s Devo - Minister Grace to the Hearers

Read Eph. 4:28-32
When I first read, "let him who stole steal no more" I though "well I don't do that". Then I looked up the meaning in the Greek of "stole" and it means filch. So I took out my dictionary and looked up filch. It said "to steal (usually something small or petty)". That made it a little harder to deny. I might not shoplift but I might steal someone's thought and pass it off as my own. Or I might take something from my mother's house and just not tell her thinking she doesn't use it and will never miss it. How do we stop doing these small petty things? The next part of the verse tells us. We are to stay busy with hard work so that we not only have enough for ourselves but also for those who need it. If we stay focused on others needs and work hard we won't have time for the devil to tempt us to steal and we won't need anything we can't buy yourself. Hard work makes us appreciate what we have and it helps us prioritize our wants and needs.
Verse 29 and 31 talk about the mouth, that unruly member. "Mouth" in the Greek means "the front or edge of a weapon". How true that is. Have you ever offended someone by what you said when you had no intention of doing that? I have, recently. When I heard their response it was like an arrow going into my heart. I had no idea they would take what I said that way and there seemed to be no way to take it back or gain their forgiveness. I was devastated and still am grieved with no solution except to pray. But I will stand on verse 31 and not let bitterness or wrath, or anger or malice get a root in my heart. Instead I will cling to verse 32 and choose kindness and tenderheartedness and forgiveness because God for Christ's sake has forgiven me.
Lord, help us to choose to think the best of one another and dole our mercy and grace. Help us not to grieve the Holy Spirit which is the stamp of our redemption.

No comments: