Friday, February 19, 2010

Fri.'s Devo - We are Both Fortunate and Profitable.

Read Eph. 6:21-24
When I read what I would be blogging on today I laughed and asked God what there was to say about this. When I ask this I know the answer is going to be, "look a little deeper". So I did and I got interested in this Tychicus guy and wondered who he was and if he was mentioned anywhere else in scripture. I never pay much attention to the last greetings in these letters but, lo and behold, Tychicus is mentioned 5 times in the New Testament. Paul trusted Tychicus to be his delgate to the churches when he was in prison. He was an Ephesian who followed Paul to Rome and visited him in prison. He wrote and carried back Paul's letter to the Ehesians which we have been studying. Paul described him as a beloved brother, faithful minister, and fellow servant in the Lord. Tychicus was to visit the churches and report to them how Paul was doing and bring back news of them to Paul. His name means "fortunate". He was fortunate to serve Paul and be in close ministry with him. Sometimes he traveled with Onesimus whose name means "profitable". What great descriptions for servants of Christ. If we know Jesus and serve him humbly we will be both fortunate and profitable.
Peace be to us, and love with faith, from God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace be to all of us that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.

No comments: