Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wed.'s Devo - Promise Fulfilled.............finally!

Read 1 Chron. 11:1-9
Finally David becomes king. He had been prophesied the king, anointed the king, and had many confirmations but all the circumstances proved just the opposite. King Saul had gone from loving him as a son to hating him as an enemy. David went from commander of the Israelite army and all the fame to a leader of a few renegades running from the law. He finally had to join the Philistine army which was Israel's #1 foe. He was wanted for all kinds of lies and conspiracies and is now being honored as the king. All the prophecies are making sense now. They always do when you look back but not always when you are in the midst of it. I wonder if David ever wanted to just give it all up and quit. I know he did because he wrote many songs about it.
Ps. 38:17 "I am on the verge of collapse, facing constant pain. But I confess my sins; I am deeply sorry for what I have done. I have many aggressive enemies; they hate me without reason. They repay me evil for good. and oppose me for pursuing good. Do not abandon me, O Lord. Do not stand at a distance, my God. Come quickly to help me. O Lord my Saviour. Chapter 39 is his stance while he is waiting for God and Chapter 40 is his answer: "I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the Lord."
Even though David is king he still has enemies in his land. The first are the Jebusites who occupy Jerusalem. David wanted to redeem Jerusalem for God but the Jebusites ordered him to leave. Nevertheless David took the castle of Zion which was on a mountain around Jerusalem. He renamed it the city of David. Then David gave his men a challenge. Whoever took the Jebusites first would be his chief and captain. So Joab when first into battle and smote the Jebusites. He got his reward.
I pray that this will be an encouragement to all of us especially the Larsen family. May God open doors for you that cannot be shut and close doors that cannot be opened. Help us to know when to patiently wait for your deliverance and when to boldly go out to fight.

No comments: