Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tues.’s Devo - Too Much Complaining

Read: Numbers 11-13
The children of Israel remind me of spoiled kids. They complained they haven’t had meat since they left Egypt. So God sent fire to judge them. Then they screamed because of the fire and Moses prayed for them and the fire went away. Moses complained to God that these people are too hard to manage so God gave Moses a crash course on Management 101. Moses chose 70 leaders to help carry his load. Then God told Moses he would supply them with meat for his people. I love Moses response. He explains to God why that would be impossible!
I can’t help but relate to this myself. I have been complaining to the Lord about selling my houses while nothing is happening. He has sent me dreams showing me it’s going to happen and I still complain. Today I woke up thinking, I’m not going to complain about this today and I read this story. It’s a laugh-out-loud lesson to me - the spoiled kid!
God did do the impossible and sent meat but because of their lack of faith, God gave them so many quail they got sick on it. This is what happens when we provoke the Lord to answer our prayer before the time. They were going to have plenty of meat once they reached the Promised Land but they were to eat manna till they got there. No telling what ingredients that manna had that sustained them through the wilderness. Our food is the Word of God and sometimes we are to live in James 1 and sometimes we are to live in Phillippians 4:19. The important thing is that we don’t try to rush to the finish line without running the race.
The complaining didn’t stop at meat. Moses’ new leaders complained about two of the leaders who didn’t come to the meeting yet God poured his spirit on them and they prophesied. They tried to provoke Moses to be jealous of these men but Moses refused. Miriam and Aaron complained about Moses and were jealous of his position. Miriam didn’t pass the test and had leprosy for a week. God sent spies into the promised land and most came back complaining about the giants in the land and couldn’t see the abundance for the enemy.
Lord, I am so convicted about my attitude. Please help us to be grateful people who wait for you to act on our behalf. This is your kingdom and you are our king. You have the best planned for us so forgive us for complaining. Help us to trust you with joy!

No comments: