Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thurs.'s Devo - Honoring

Read Pr. 28:24
Our pastor just preached a series on parenting. His first sermon was on honoring our parents. It was so convicting and powerful. We tend to take our parents for granted and especially their stuff. Even when we are adults we still think what they have is ours. It is not true. Now that I am an adult of adult children I know this by experience. I don't want them to take whatever they want or need from my house. That is unhonoring. Today's scripture says that it is stealing and that it is destructive to your relationship. The word "honour" in the Greek means to prize or to fix value upon. If we fix value on our parents we will fix value on their stuff and what is theirs. We will honor their boundaries. I know as a parent the thing that I desire more than time with my new grand daughter, or any gift they could give us; I want them to desire to spend time with me. I know that is how God feels. Jesus stole away to spend time with his father. A man who went to heaven and came back said that there are different levels of heaven and the ones that are closest to the throne are the "friends" of God, the ones who chose to spend time with him. That is where I want to be.
Lord, we desire to be your friends so teach us about honoring our parents here on earth because you say that it is first the natural and then the spiritual.

No comments: