Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thurs.'s Devo - Disciplining Our Children 2-10-11

Read Pr. 22:15
I hate to even touch this subject but it is the Word of God. God created us that we would come into this world as a baby that was helpless and silly. As we are trained and loved we are to grow into responsible adults that can teach and train the next generation. The child is to honor the parent and obey him. The adult is to mentor and teach by example the ways of God. But, we have it backwards. We honor the child and let them have authority over us. When a toddler does something wrong we are to teach them and train them that that is not acceptable. Instead I have seen parents laugh and think it is cute. It may be cute now but if won't be cute in a few years. I know it is hard to spank and discipline your children when you think they are the sweetest, cutest child on the planet but if you don't you will be the one to suffer. I grew up getting spankings and I am so glad I did. Even Jesus had to learn by the consequences he suffered. (Heb. 5:8) Today's verse says that foolishness is bound in the heart of a child. That is apparent if you have had children. But it goes on to say that the rod of correction will drive it out of him. The word "rod" means a branch or a stick. So that is pretty clear. In the Old Testament they were to stone a rebellious teenager. We are scared to spank a child. We used to make our sons stand beside the bed and put their hands on the bed so the belt wouldn't hit their hands and my husband would give tell them they were getting three "licks". Then they knew what to expect. He tried to never spank them in anger.
Lord, thank you for your spankings because we know that they are for our good. Help us to see this same principle for our children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents raise me godly and they really dont spare the rod. They use the belt and the cane too. They spank me often I have to lay on the couch and I get it on my bare bottom and bare legs. This way Dad never hits my hands or head or other places that would be harmful. I am proud of the way they raise me. I go in shorts year round and I get some teasing in school cos they see the marks on my legs but I dont care.
Micky 15

Ginny's gems said...

There you go...the proof is in the pudding and you sound like you are turning out pretty good. Thanks for your encouragement. God bless you.