Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thurs.'s Devo - Silliness vs. Joy

Read Pro. 15:21
"Reality TV" has become so popular because for some reason we love to think that our normal life is exciting and if we see it on TV then it verifies our importance. But, where do they find these "normal" people? I don't know anyone in my scope of friends that lives with that much drama. They seem to epitomize silliness. Today's scripture says that silliness or folly is joy to the person who has no wisdom. So silliness is the counterfeit for our joy. What a bad substitute. Silliness is a behavior that comes from a weak mind where joy is a condition that dwells in the person who has chosen wisdom. Wisdom helps you walk uprightly and with stability where silliness is destined for a fall. Joy comes from God and is the strength of those who walk with God. Silliness demands an audience but joy is a there whether you are alone or with a crowd. They are both contagious but one for destruction and one for life and healing. Joy can heal a mourning soul.
I remember one time we went to see a family who had lost their mother. When we got to the house I got overwhelmed with joy and bubbled all over these people. As we were leaving everyone was laughing and light. It hit me when I got in the car that we had gone into the house of mourning and left them laughing. I was devastated that maybe I wasn't sensitive to the situation but my husband assured me that it was just what they needed.
Lord, help us to let your joy out and let it infect those around us for You.

No comments: