Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tues.'s Devo - Washing the fruit

Read John 15:1-2
"I am the true vine" translates: "I am the hidden truth that is found on the threshing floor." And God is the world's farmer. "Every branch IN ME that doesn't bear fruit God takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit." I have more questions about this verse than answers. If we don't bear fruit will God take us away from this earth permanently? I have definitely seen this happen - lives cut short because they were too weak to walk in God. God rescued them early. But to the people that are doing the works of Jesus and bearing fruit, he sanctifies. He calls it purging which is a cleansing. Cleansing can sometimes be painful and sometimes not. I remember as a child whenever we got a scratch or a cut we would go to Mother to put medicine on it. If she put mecuricome on our bobos it would sting like crazy. If she put methialade on it, it wouldn't hurt. For some reason she felt like the one that stung the most was the better cure and the kicker was that they were both this awful reddish yellow medicine that was put on with a glass stick so until I learned to read I never knew which one she was going to use. After I got wiser I started insisting on the methialade. Now they have neosporin which is clear and doesn't burn at all. That is how God's cleansing is: sometimes it's painful and sometimes it's just healing but it is always needed to help us bear more fruit. God doesn't use methialade or mecuricome, he uses his Word. When we read it it cleanses our soul.
Lord, thank you for the Word that is alive and active in our lives. Cleanse us from secret faults and don't let them have dominion over us. Ps. 18.

No comments: