Monday, December 14, 2009

Mon.'s Devo - Jesus' Prayer

Read John 17
This is the last recorded prayer Jesus prayed. We might spend the whole week looking at the different aspects of this prayer. He prays that the world might see God's glory through him in his death. He knows that his work is over and time is nearing an end. He prays for the same glory he and God had before creation.
The phrases that stick out to me in his prayer are in vs. 2: "that he sould give eternal life to as many as thou has given him." and in vs. 6: "I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gave me out of the world." and in vs. 9 "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou has given me; for they are yours." and last of all in vs. 16: "They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."
It is hard for me to grasp that I have been chosen out of a vast group of God's creation to know him and be his child and that others havent been chosen. I don't understand election but I trust God who is wise and all-powerful. I know the Word says that "many are called and few are chosen." And that same Word says "For God so loved the world... that whosover that believed in him should have eternal life." The truth is that he lays out his plan for all to see and enter in. It was man that chose darkness over light.
Lord, thank you for revealing your light to us and giving us hearts to receive you. We long for you and your truth.

No comments: