Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday's Devo - A Family Week-end

This week-end was Katy's tea in New Orleans and Daniel's graduation in Alexandria. We had been asking Daniel when his graduation would be forever and he kept telling us he didn't know. In the mean time the tea came up and I got a plane ticket to go to New Orleans to meet Katy's family for the first time. I was excited about going to the tea till I found out Daniel would be graduating the same day. I tried to refund my ticket or transfer it to another date and go to another shower later to no avail so I was going to just eat the ticket and go to the graduation till Dave came home. When I told him what I was thinking of doing he would have none of it. He said I was going to the tea and he was going to the graduation. This was not the first time Daniel had waited till the last minute to tell us plans and made us scramble to meet them. So Dave, Josh, Caleb, Granny, and Paw Paw went to the graduation and I went to New Orleans and attended the tea. The graduation lasted one hour and though I hated missing it, God gave me something special to do for Daniel. I sat down and wrote a 2-page letter telling him all the great memories I had of him growing up and all the gifts God had given him like his sense of humor, his faithfulness, and his compassion. Then I sent a CD by Sidewalk Prophets and told him to listent to the song called "These are the words I would say." It is a song saying all the things I would want to say to him like: be strong in the Lord; never give up faith; God's going to do great things, I already know. God's got his hands on you, so don't live life in fear... and don't forget why you're here.
I would have never done that if I was going to the graduation but since I wasn't I wanted to let him know how proud I was of him. I know it was exactly what should have happened.
In New Orleans, I got to meet Katy's family and have the best time bonding with a truly beautiful addition to our family. It was a long week-end for Dave and I but full of family and love.

No comments: