Friday, November 20, 2009

Fri.'s Devo - I Will Tell You.

Read John 13:31-38
Isaiah 42:9b says,"I will tell you the future before it happens." Is. 45:11 says, "Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands..." That is what Jesus did, he told them over and over what was going to happen. But they didn't get it till after he died. Nothing in our life should broadside us if we are listening and staying in Christ. We might not understand it at the time but God is always purposeful in everything he does and we can trust him. If we look back we will see that he was warning us and preparing us for what was ahead.
Jesus starts out telling his disciples that it is time for him to be glorified and when this happens God will be glorified also and visa versa. That works with us too: when we are glorified, God is glorified; when God is glorified, we are glorified. This is Jesus last farewell to his disciples and he is so tender. He calls them his little children and tells him that he is going somewhere they won't be able to go to yet. He leaves them with a new commandment to love one another as he has loved them. This would be the testimony that they know him. Peter doesn't like what Jesus is saying. He wants to know where he is going and why he can't follow Jesus. He vows to give his life to save Jesus'. That is a brave statement and Jesus calls him on it. He tells him that before the rooster crows he will deny him 3 times.
In my life I often look back and see that God was trying to get my attention so I wouldn't have to make that mistake but I missed it. Mainly because I get in a hurry. I think if I took life more slowly and intently I wouldn't miss the nudges he gives me. Lord, help us to walk in peace and single-minded. Guard our minds in you and keep them from straying in so many different directions. May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

No comments: