Thursday, April 28, 2016

Thurs.’s Devo - Absalom’s Demise

Read: 2 Sam. 17:15-19:30; Ps. 3 & 63
I can’t help think this is a picture of Satan’s rebellion. Satan rebelled and took one third of the angels with him. I don’t know the percentage that Absalom took but I wonder if it wasn’t a third. It was David’s reaction to Absalom’s death that always impresses me. Did God feel the same way about Satan when he rebelled? Did he cry and mourn for his son? I would think so.
Rejection is a powerful spirit. Ahithophel hung himself when Absalom didn’t take his advise. Absalom rebelled when he was rejected by his father. We have all experienced rejection at some level in our lives and it is painful, so what do we do about it? We fall into the arms of a loving Father that never rejects us. David did that. David prayed, “But you, O Lord, are a shield around me. you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.” I have to remind myself over and over that I don’t fight flesh and blood but principalities and powers in the heavenly realm. We can pray like David did to slap those demonic forces in the face. Victory comes from the Lord who blesses his people with favor and love.
Absalom died because of the thing he was most prideful - his hair. He would have it cut and weighed every year and now it caught him and left him dangling so he could be stabbed. Pride will bring us down every time.
Lord, help us to be humble and have a healthy fear of You. Deliver us from feelings of rejection and fear. We cling to You!

No comments: