Saturday, April 30, 2016

Sat.’s Devo - God’s Greatest Victory

Read: 2 Sam. 22 & Ps. 18
I love this passage! It is the same word-for-word except the beginning verse. In Psalm 18, David adds “I love you, Lord; you are my strength.” This is the prayer or song David sung the day the Lord rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul.
Years ago, I was reading about the crucifixion and I read the part of the sky turning dark for 3 hours. I meditated on what they might look like and why the Lord turned the lights out. So I looked up every scripture on darkness and found these. I was intrigued to say the least. Could God have clothed himself in darkness and come down and ministered to Jesus like these scriptures say. For one thing, I don’t think God abandoned Jesus on the cross and turned away because he couldn’t look at sin. That is preposterous to God’s nature. God is omnipotent and everywhere so there is no place he isn’t. Also, God promises never to leave us or abandon us. Also, God looks at sin every day and even meets with Satan so God is not afraid of sin. So… maybe he clothed himself in that darkness and (vs 9-12) came down. There was thunder and a great fight in the heavenlies. God shot arrows and scattered his enemies. God reached down and protected Jesus from the onslaught of the enemy and led him to a place of refuge. Jesus’ righteousness and innocence saved him.
On the cross, when the lights came back on , Jesus cried, “my God, my God, why have you forsaken me” because he was referring to the Psalms that starts with that passage. That is how they named the Psalms in that day - by the first verse. He was referring to Ps. 22. It talks about the crucifixion and everything that went on that day so they could read it and know that he was fulfilling the Word of the Lord. This was God’s greatest victory so he wouldn’t miss it.
Just like God came to Jesus in his hour of great need, he comes to us in ours. We can praise him for his great victory in our life.
Lord, thank you for giving us victory over all our enemies of fear, intimidation, lack, hopelessness, inferiority, addictions and loneliness. You are the cure for everything that ails us!

No comments: