Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sat.’s Devo - The King of Kings

Read:1 Sam. 8:1-9:27, John 6:22-42, Ps. 106:32-48, Pr. 14:34-35 Israel had rejected God as their king and wanted a king like all the other nations had. So first, Samuel told them all the cons of having a king and what they could expect. They still wanted what they wanted which was a king. This reminds me of a friend I had who fell in love with a guy who was not a Christian and had lived a life of lies and trickery. I sat her down and told her just what her life would be like if she married him and moved out west with him. Everything I said would happen did and she ended up blaming me for marrying him. She told me I had failed her as her mentor and friend and that I should have physically restrained her from marrying him. As funny as that sounds, she was dead serious! God never makes us do anything, but he will warn us when we are about to make a mistake. It is our responsibility to trust him and we alone bare the consequences. In John, Jesus reminds them that it wasn’t the great leader, Moses, that sustained them in the wilderness with bread, but it was God. Jesus came to earth to teach them that that bread was Him and He would sustain them just like the manna did for the Israelites, only this bread gives eternal life. Lord, may You always be our number one King!

No comments: