Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturday's Devo - Third Day in Yemen

This is my 3rd day in Yemen. I love it here. The architect is so old and ornate. I love the doors and the windows. We walked to a wedding party last night and I have to say I like walking better than driving. (Robynn drives fearlessly and would scare most of the men in this country.) The bad part is trying to walk in a burka. Women here are so oppressed. But, once they get to their gatherings, they take off their black garb and sit around eating gad which is some bitter stimulant and smoking tobacco out of a bong and visiting. They rarely laugh so when I do, I get a lot of looks...being a foreigner is also pretty attention getting also. They are so friendly and I have made a friend named Tiggia. I have seen her each day I have been here and will see her today. She is learning English so I am trying to help her. Her husband left the country 2 years ago and let her know recently he will be gone another 2 years. She is thinking about divorce. She is over 40 and wants a child. Women here live to have children and to be loved. They rarely get the later except by other women. They so desperately need Jesus. I shared with one lady about Jesus and having a relationship with him and she said, bitterly, 'What's the point?' I am praying that God will heal her son who was born with a nerve and muscle disease.
I came here to encourage Robynn and Greg and have seen a transformation in them since I got here. I am so grateful to be used of God to such wonderful people. They are such lights in a very dark place of blindness. Pray that the eyes of their understanding will be opened that they may know the hope of their calling in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

Larsen Family said...

The comment from the woman makes me so sad for them. I pray that her eyes will be opened, as well.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Ginny. I am SO GLAD you got to go.