Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tues.’s Devo - The Consequences of Sin

Read: Lev. 20-22
Yesterday, we read about the sins and today we read about the punishment for those sins. They were not to offer their children to Molech or they would be stoned. Molech means “king of shame”. God said he would cut these parents off himself and be against them because they bring shame to his holy name. This means that if you teach your children condemnation or that they have to obey God or he will punish them you are teaching against God’s character. To be stoned spiritually means to be taught with words of truth. The truth will kill false doctrine. In the Old Testament they were literally stoned, in the New, our old man dies when we hear words of truth.
Reading about the sexual sins and the consequences makes me wonder how many people would be left alive if we enforced these laws and their consequences. Thank God for his mercy and the blood of Jesus. I thought it was interesting that if you were the daughter of the priest and you gave yourself over to prostitution, you were burned to death. This is a picture of a person who grows up in a Christian family and is taught the truth but goes astray. Conviction will burn in her heart till she repents. She won’t be stoned because she has the Word in her already. She knows the truth.
The physical defects are a picture of sins that are outward and visible. If you dress like a hooker and act like one, then you have a physical defect. If your conversation is full of curse words and gossip then you have a physical defect. Sins affect they way we grow. They cause our walk to be lame or our eyes to be blind, etc. We will never be able to be intimate with Jesus till these blatant sins are confessed and repented of.
If you are afraid you have unconfessed sins and don’t know what they are…don’t worry, it is the Holy Spirit’s job to show them to you. Then you can repent. God is very gracious and compassionate and wants us to come into his presence.
I had a dream last night where I was in a grocery store and stole a Twinkie. I woke up before I had a chance to go back and pay for it. It felt so bad and asked God if I could go back and pay it. Then I prayed about it and God showed me that I had not payed my tithe this month or my sales taxes yet. Needless to say, that was the first thing I did this morning.
Lord, thank you for the Holy Spirt’s conviction.

No comments: