Thursday, June 18, 2015

Thurs.’s Devo Proverbs for Life

Read: Pr. 27-29
I could write a paragraph about each proverb today so I’ll just pick ones that stood out to me. The verse of the day on the radio was “Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.” What is it about ourselves that needs to the approval of men so bad? I notice it everywhere and especially in me. We all want to be noticed and validated. I want to be content with the applaud of heaven. Nothing could be more rewarding.
Proverbs 27:5 says, “Open rebuke is better than secret love.” I think this means that our love needs to be loud and not hidden. To hide it is worse than rebuking someone in public.
Proverbs 28:1 is pertinent for today. “The wicked flee when no man pursues; but the righteous are bold as a lion.” There are many predictions of financial collapse and a dismal future but for the righteous, this should not be scary. We are to be bold as a lion and roar in the face of fear and calamity. I think this is the finest hour for the church and the time of great miraculous provision and grace.
There are a few verses in Proverbs 29 that compare the fool with the righteous and I want to just give you what the righteous person does. He rejoices in righteous rule; he makes his father rejoice; he turns the wrath of God from his city; he doesn’t speak everything on his mind. The righteous man’s throne is established forever.
I love the last verse in Proverbs 29. “An unjust man is an abomination to the just; and he that is upright in the way is abomination to the wicked.” What a thought. We are as disgusting to the wicked as they are to us. They have no fear of God or desire for righteousness that is why it says of the last days that men will call good ,evil and evil, good.
Lord, help us to have your wisdom in our hearts and live out these proverbs.

No comments: