Monday, April 6, 2015

Mon.’s Devo - The Depravity of Man

Read: Judges 19-21
Reading Judges 19 grieves me every time. I find myself so mad at the man who owned the concubine that I want to cut him up in little pieces and mail him out. I know we are only given a thumbnail of what happened but the injustice is beyond my comprehension. I want to know why the girl left her husband the first time but then I read the story and know why. He didn’t love her. He gave her up for the town of wicked men to rape and pillage her then told her to get up and get on her horse when he found her on the ground the next morning. The only way to make sense to any of these three chapters can be summed up in the last verse of chapter 21. “In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”
This is man at his worse state. Without a king means that God was not their god. This is how twisted we can become when God is not our king.
It only got worse as the whole nation of Israel rose up against the whole tribe of Benjamin instead of punishing the people responsible. Fifty thousand Benjamites were killed in battle and four thousand Israelites. All the women and children were killed of the tribe of Benjamin then to preserve their posterity the men had to kidnap wives. I would have hated to have lived in that day as a women. Satan hates women because they represent the bride of Christ. He hates men because they represent Jesus, the bride groom. Satan will do the most vile things through anyone who will allow themselves to be used by him.
Lord, help us to stand against the devil and his schemes. Open our eyes to see through his deceptions.

No comments: