Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wed.’s Devo - Being Brave

Read 1 Kings 19:1-21, Acts 12:1-23, Ps. 136:1-26, Pr. 17:14-15 Elijah defeats 850 prophets of Baal and Asherah then runs at a threat from Jezebel. No wonder he lost his position as prophet of Israel. He succumbs to fear, self-pity and defeat. Where is the Elijah who called down fire? God wanted to know that too. He asked him twice what he was doing there. When Isaiah gave God his sob story God passed by him with a whisper. He told him to retrace his steps and get back on the right path. Then he gave him his last orders: anoint Hazael king over Aram, Jehu over Israel and Elisha to succeed him. I understand how quickly Elijah lost his confidence. I had just told God yesterday that I would like to run and hide because I felt so overwhelmed with things. God gave me a dream last night of running from the police and hiding in a sandpit along with other people who were hiding there. They were totally covered in sand that adhered to their bodies so they still kept their shape. I hid under a crack in the side of the pit but every time I tried to put the sand on me it kept sliding off. Everyone could still see me and I couldn’t hide. When I woke up I understood that God didn’t want me to hide in the sand because that was not useful to Him. So, today, I put on God’s armor and faced the day with the courage only God can give! I felt foolish for being afraid and I’m sure Elijah did also. Thank God for his love that endures forever. In Acts, the church was at Mary’s house praying for Peter and when God answered their prayer and released him, they couldn’t believe it. Herod didn’t know what to do either so he killed the soldiers in charge of Peter. Then he proclaimed himself a god and was killed by God. When God starts doing miracles, He also brings judgment to those who stand against Him. Lord, may we cooperate with You in whatever You choose to do.

No comments: