Monday, April 30, 2012

Mon.’s Devo - Cities of Refuge


I thought I would take this day to explain the cities of refuge and what they mean. One night I was thinking about where people of the faith in the Old Testament went when they died. I asked God where they went right before I went to sleep. God knows the answer and loves to share his secrets with his friends. That morning I woke up and heard “cities of refuge” real loud in my head. I wondered what that was about, then God reminded me of my question, so I went to my Bible to find out about cities of refuge. Cities of refuge were cities that God told the Israelites to set up in every tribe. If a person was accused of killing another person but didn’t have a witness to testify the truth, they could run to the closest city of refuge and live there safely until the death of the high priest. At this time they would be set free. The person who was after them was called the “avenger of blood”. This is a picture of death during the Old Testament. We are all sinners and need a place of refuge which we know as repentance through the blood of Jesus. Our high priest is Jesus and when he died we were saved from the avenger, the devil. He is no longer able to avenge us of our sins because they are covered with the blood of Jesus. When people of the Old Testament died they went to a place called Sheol which was in the underground called Hell. I believe that there were places of refuge there were the saints went to wait the death of THE High Priest, Jesus. Machpelah, the fold, was such a place. You can read about the cities of refuge in Numbers 35:11-15 and Joshua 20 and 21.

Lord, thank you for being our city of refuge and our High Priest. We are safe and saved in You.


No comments: