Friday, October 23, 2009

Fri.'s Devo - Thirsty?

Read John 7:37-53
It is the last day of the feast of Tabernacles and the priests are carrying these golden pitchers of water down the mountain from the Pool of Siloam to pour on the altar. The Pool of Siloam means living water which gets its water from the Gihon Springs which means bursting forth. So it is a picture of God sending the living water bursting forth from heaven down to earth and pouring it out on the altar for the people. The priest would read Is. 44 which says, "I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon your seed, and my blessing upon your offspring; And they shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the water courses." It is on that day that Jesus stood up and cried, "If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believes on me, as the scripture said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."
The next verse tells us what this living water is: it is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit had not been given to the people because Jesus hadn't died yet. Many people believed in him when he said this but many still tripped over the fact that they thought he was from Galilee. They knew that the scriptures said the Messiah would come out of Bethlehem. I often wonder why noone asked Jesus where he was born. He could have cleared it up for them but noone asked him. So some believed, some didn't and some wanted to kill him.
This reminds me of times I have bargained with God and said 'If you just do this then I'll do that'. When really all God wants me to do is blindly believe - follow my spirit, even when I don't understand, it doesn't make sense, and I don't want to. Everything about Jesus was a mystery: he spoke with authority and demons were afraid of him, but he was a commoner. He did miracles and unraveled the Law with such wisdom but he came from Galilee. Face it, it took courage and faith to believe Jesus was the Messiah.
Jesus carried the anointing of the Holy Spirit. That is what he came to give us. John the Baptist ushered in Jesus and Jesus ushered in the Holy Spirit. Lord, fill us with your Holy Spirit so that out of our bellies will flow this living water.

No comments: