Monday, October 31, 2016

Mon.’s Devo - In The Garden

Read: John 18:1-24; Mark 14:32-52; Matthew 26:36-46; Luke 22:39-53
As I read about that night in the garden I can’t help but wonder how the disciples knew what Jesus prayed if they were asleep. I know that Jesus told them that the Holy Spirit would remind them about things that he said and that happened. This has to be one of those revelations they got through the Spirit. Luke even saw an angel from heaven that appeared and strengthened Jesus. He said that Jesus sweat drops of blood. I think that if I saw an angel, I would have been aroused out of slumber so I have to conclude that the Holy Spirit showed them these things afterwards.
It always amuses me to read about the soldier, Malchus who had his ear cut off then miraculously put back on. How do you do your job after that? I bet he became a believer that day or soon after. He was picked out of all the soldiers to see and feel Jesus’ healing power flow through his body. Mark tells us that Malchus was the slave of the high priest! His master was the high priest and yet this man Jesus had more power than his master.
If that wasn’t enough, when they asked Jesus who he was he said he was I AM… the same I AM that spoke to Moses. At that announcement, the soldiers drew back and fell to the ground. Malchus gets another touch!
When the disciple cut off Malchus’ ear, Jesus told them to put the sword away saying that he could have called 10,000 angels to protect him if he asked. This reminds me of Satan’s temptation to Jesus to throw himself off the temple and let angels save him. Jesus had already fought and won that temptation so he was able to rest in God’s will. It is our instinct to want to fight for our life when God just wants us to lay it down.
Lord, help us to lay down my lives for you and accept your will. Give us discernment to know when to fight and when to yield.

No comments: